Skip to main content

Childhood Toys - Rainbow Flakes

When I became a mother, I started becoming very nostalgic.

Whenever I look at my children, I tend to recall my own childhood.

The things they say, games they play, toys that they have, activities that they do during their leisure times. All these would take me back to the time when was a little girl.

I only have one sibling. Just like myself, my children only have each other as company. The difference is, we were both girls while my children were of different genders.

One of the things that I love is to see my children "re-living" my childhood. Playing the toys that I used to play or read the books I loved as a kid.



Me, reliving my childhood: Made a sun, a rainbow and an apple tree with my favourite toy.


My sister and I had a set of Saidina (which is the Malay version of the Monopoly), a Junior Scrabble and some card games such as the Happy Family and Old Maid, a set of Triominos and also a set of Rainbow Flakes.

Of all these, I loved the Triominos and the Rainbow Flakes the most.

Both toys are not common in the Malaysia market. When I mentioned about these toys to my sister in one of our conversations, she managed to get the latter for my children via the internet. (Hello!! I think I am living in the dinosaur age. Isn't online shipping the answer to everything?) And of course, I could also get the Triominos online but I haven't. Perhaps a gift for their upcoming birthdays? (Actually, we don't do the birthday thing. Will touch more on this in a different post.)

And so, here am I, playing with my childhood toy, reminiscing the past (On my own. haha!)

What was your favourite childhood toy? OR your favourite childhood activity?

Would you introduce them to your children? If you have, did they enjoy it as much as you do?


A Parade Float: A piece from my son, using my childhood favourite toy. 

Note: The Rainbow Flakes that we had were a bit different from the ones my sister bought for my children. Ours were softer, bendable and did not have any numbers or patterns on them and the colours were different too! This new version is hard and couldn't be bended, thus, kind of difficult for my daughter to play with. She didn't have the muscle strength/fine motor skill to fix them together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Treat! What a Cheat!

When it comes to food , how often do you cheat ? Do you plan to follow a certain diet but end up having more cheat days than you intend to? or Do you intend to eat home cooked food for the entire week but end up eating out almost everyday? You are not alone!!👊 We are partners in crime! Look at the picture below. It's a plate of lunch for my children. Prawn paste fried chicken, stir fry mustard leaves and white rice. Served on a plate from our kitchen. The only thing I cook is the rice. 😜 I bought the chicken and vegetables from an economy rice shop.  They are my children's top picks. It is a shop that sells a wide variety of dishes (about 50-60), mostly Chinese. The food are pre cooked and displayed on large serving trays. It is self service and faster than the fast food restaurant. When my children saw the food served to them, they had a debate on whether it was takeaway or home cooked . 😃 My 8 year old boy said: Mummy bought from Bar Wang Fan (the na...

Lemon Thyme Meatball With Zucchinni

Minced meat is one of the common ingredients in my kitchen due to its versatility. It's easy to come up with a dish whenever I have this item on hand. Be it for rice porridge, stir fry noodles, adding flavours to booth for noodles soup, to stir fry with vegetables, braised with potatoes, the list is almost endless. Here, I would like to share with you a meatball recipe. We love meatballs and I make them quite often. Sometimes, I would make a big batch and store them in the freezer, to be used on busy days. THIS WEEK's SPECIAL: Lemon Thyme Meatball with Zucchini Ingredients: For the meatball minced meat (any meat of your choice) salt soy sauce finely chopped garlic finely chopped shallot tapioca starch  white pepper powder grated carrots (optional) one whole egg (optional) Other ingredients  zucchinni thyme lemon onion 1. To make meatball, combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix them together and let marinate for a few hours....

Traveling with Kids: Tioman Island

Traveling with children can be quite challenging. They need activities to keep them busy. From my experiences with my children, they don't really like to eat or shop. They want fun play and they want to explore. So, once in a while, we take them out for little adventures. Last June, we decided to take them to an island. WEEK 12: FUN PLAY TOPIC: A TRIP TO AN ISLAND It was a 3 nights 4 days trip. We stayed at Berjaya Tioman Resorts DAY 1 Lunch: I love burgers so it was a pretty good start for me.  Despite a pretty good lunch, our journey was delayed by about an hour. There were only two ferry trips to the island from Mersing, Johor. We chose the 3pm one instead of the 7am one because we didn't want to wake up at dawn and drive all the way to Mersing. When we reached the island, it was already dinner time. With kids along, we just had a short walk around the resort and went to bed early. DAY 2 We decided to go island hopping and snorkelli...