Skip to main content

The Ironies of Life

We don't always end up doing what we planned to do. Agree?

 Sometimes, we even end up doing things we thought we wouldn't choose to do all our lives!

OK. I am talking about myself.

When I was pregnant with my first child, I told a colleague that I would not stop working.

My verdict was that I wanted my children to "see" me working.
To "see" me as a financial contributor.
So they would value money.
So they would know and understand that money comes from hard work.
Or, so they would be eager to earn money for themselves.
So this and so that...

On the contrary, this particular colleague was me telling that her future hubby preferred her to be a stay-at-home mom. Her hubby thought it was better for the children if they grow up under their mother's care.



Fast forward... a year after our conversation...

I QUIT MY JOB. 

My hubby was assigned a 4-week business trip to Europe and he asked if I wanted to join him. At first, I was reluctant but then I was terrified of the fact that I would have to take care of my baby on my own after work. There was no way I could do that. So I quit. Without a plan.

Had a wonderful time in Europe, tried looking for a job online but the internet wouldn't connect to my Macbook!! (Was it a sign that I should just forget about getting a job?)

When we returned, my nanny asked me if I could temporarily take care of my son until I get a job.
Reason: she was exhausted taking care of my son, her newborn grandson and her daughter during confinement. (Her daughter delivered a few days before our trip. I left my son under her care)

When I told my husband, his reply was: So you be a stay-at-home mom, ok? 

At that time, I was too confused to even give a reply.

My son was a handful. He kept me very busy and I couldn't find time to look for a job and...

LO AND BEHOLD!

I became a stay-at-home mom. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

OFFICIALLY.

Meanwhile,

that colleague got married, went on to do her Masters after giving birth to her first child and returned to the workforce right after completing her Masters.

When I look back and recall our conversation that day, I thought to myself: What an irony! 

Nevertheless, we are both leading happy lives now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Treat! What a Cheat!

When it comes to food , how often do you cheat ? Do you plan to follow a certain diet but end up having more cheat days than you intend to? or Do you intend to eat home cooked food for the entire week but end up eating out almost everyday? You are not alone!!๐Ÿ‘Š We are partners in crime! Look at the picture below. It's a plate of lunch for my children. Prawn paste fried chicken, stir fry mustard leaves and white rice. Served on a plate from our kitchen. The only thing I cook is the rice. ๐Ÿ˜œ I bought the chicken and vegetables from an economy rice shop.  They are my children's top picks. It is a shop that sells a wide variety of dishes (about 50-60), mostly Chinese. The food are pre cooked and displayed on large serving trays. It is self service and faster than the fast food restaurant. When my children saw the food served to them, they had a debate on whether it was takeaway or home cooked . ๐Ÿ˜ƒ My 8 year old boy said: Mummy bought from Bar Wang Fan (the na...

Lemon Thyme Meatball With Zucchinni

Minced meat is one of the common ingredients in my kitchen due to its versatility. It's easy to come up with a dish whenever I have this item on hand. Be it for rice porridge, stir fry noodles, adding flavours to booth for noodles soup, to stir fry with vegetables, braised with potatoes, the list is almost endless. Here, I would like to share with you a meatball recipe. We love meatballs and I make them quite often. Sometimes, I would make a big batch and store them in the freezer, to be used on busy days. THIS WEEK's SPECIAL: Lemon Thyme Meatball with Zucchini Ingredients: For the meatball minced meat (any meat of your choice) salt soy sauce finely chopped garlic finely chopped shallot tapioca starch  white pepper powder grated carrots (optional) one whole egg (optional) Other ingredients  zucchinni thyme lemon onion 1. To make meatball, combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix them together and let marinate for a few hours....

Traveling with Kids: Tioman Island

Traveling with children can be quite challenging. They need activities to keep them busy. From my experiences with my children, they don't really like to eat or shop. They want fun play and they want to explore. So, once in a while, we take them out for little adventures. Last June, we decided to take them to an island. WEEK 12: FUN PLAY TOPIC: A TRIP TO AN ISLAND It was a 3 nights 4 days trip. We stayed at Berjaya Tioman Resorts DAY 1 Lunch: I love burgers so it was a pretty good start for me.  Despite a pretty good lunch, our journey was delayed by about an hour. There were only two ferry trips to the island from Mersing, Johor. We chose the 3pm one instead of the 7am one because we didn't want to wake up at dawn and drive all the way to Mersing. When we reached the island, it was already dinner time. With kids along, we just had a short walk around the resort and went to bed early. DAY 2 We decided to go island hopping and snorkelli...