Skip to main content

Mathematics: Numbers for Beginners

Hi!

It's time of the week for kids activity again!

I have been thinking 💭 and decided to rotate a number of categories, ranging from art and craft to math and the English Language. I am looking at including FUN PLAY too!

For this week, lets look at numbers.

WEEK 2: MATHEMATICS

TOPIC: NUMBERS

Note: This activity helps a child to understand the meaning of numbers better than just recognising the digits or reciting the numbers. 


PROJECT: DIY NUMBER CHART

Note: One chart for each number

1. Prepare the materials as in the picture below.

  • A3 drawing paper and prepare it as the picture below. 



NEXT, YOU WILL NEED (refer to the picture below)

Note: The followings are for the child to put on the above chart. 

  • labeling stickers (Write the numbers on the stickers. If you are teaching the number "3" then you need three stickers and write "1, 2 and 3" on the stickers) DO NOT use different colours. 
  • pictures of the same objects (You can use the same objects throughout numbers 1-10 or different objects for different numbers but DO NOT use different objects in the same chart. Example, if you are teaching the number "3" do not use one flower, one leaf and one pot to teach the number "3" BUT you can use 3 flowers when you teach the number "3" and 4 leaves when you teach the number "4".)
  • glue stick (It is less messy. Alternatively, you can also use double sided tape. If you choose to use the latter, it is better to put them on the pictures or numbers before the activity. This way, the child will only need to peel it out like a sticker before pasting on the chart. 
  • numbers in big sizes. You can use foams, styrofoam or felt.
Note: the picture "十" in the picture below is the Chinese character for "ten" and pronounced as "shi". 


These materials are for the child to put on the chart. If you zoom in you'll see that I have put some double-sided tapes on the "0". 

The chart will look like this. It is like a "giant worksheet" for the child. You can put the chart on an easel for the child to work on.

HOW DID WE GO ABOUT IT?

1. I showed him the big number. In this this case, "1" and "0" which makes the number "10". If he can tell me what it is, GOOD! If not, then I would tell him that it's "ten".

2. Then I told him to stick the digits on the chart, above the word "TEN".

3. Since it was already the tenth chart, he would be able to count to ten already. I gave him the circle stickers and he would stick them accordingly (from 1 to 10) in the "black box".

4. Next, I gave him the picture of the rings and told him to count them and then paste it on top of the word "rings".

5. The last step is to put the "smaller" number "10" before the rings. So he would read: 10 (ten) rings.

6. I wanted to introduce the Chinese characters to him too, so we included the Chinese character in the chart, as seen above the word "TEN".






Here are two other charts my elder child did years ago. We did this activity up to the number 20. 





Important note: 
The teacher/parent is advised to guide the child/student along the way. Once the child/student has done it for a few times, he/she would be able to do it with minimal assistance. 



P/S: Hope you find this useful and do drop me a comment if you have any feedbacks. 😀




























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Treat! What a Cheat!

When it comes to food , how often do you cheat ? Do you plan to follow a certain diet but end up having more cheat days than you intend to? or Do you intend to eat home cooked food for the entire week but end up eating out almost everyday? You are not alone!!👊 We are partners in crime! Look at the picture below. It's a plate of lunch for my children. Prawn paste fried chicken, stir fry mustard leaves and white rice. Served on a plate from our kitchen. The only thing I cook is the rice. 😜 I bought the chicken and vegetables from an economy rice shop.  They are my children's top picks. It is a shop that sells a wide variety of dishes (about 50-60), mostly Chinese. The food are pre cooked and displayed on large serving trays. It is self service and faster than the fast food restaurant. When my children saw the food served to them, they had a debate on whether it was takeaway or home cooked . 😃 My 8 year old boy said: Mummy bought from Bar Wang Fan (the na...

Lemon Thyme Meatball With Zucchinni

Minced meat is one of the common ingredients in my kitchen due to its versatility. It's easy to come up with a dish whenever I have this item on hand. Be it for rice porridge, stir fry noodles, adding flavours to booth for noodles soup, to stir fry with vegetables, braised with potatoes, the list is almost endless. Here, I would like to share with you a meatball recipe. We love meatballs and I make them quite often. Sometimes, I would make a big batch and store them in the freezer, to be used on busy days. THIS WEEK's SPECIAL: Lemon Thyme Meatball with Zucchini Ingredients: For the meatball minced meat (any meat of your choice) salt soy sauce finely chopped garlic finely chopped shallot tapioca starch  white pepper powder grated carrots (optional) one whole egg (optional) Other ingredients  zucchinni thyme lemon onion 1. To make meatball, combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix them together and let marinate for a few hours....

Stress Free Mode

Now, as I typed on my laptop, my 5 year-old daughter sits in front of me, doing her own work. She is doing something on her own. Something that no one tells her to do. It is 100% at her own will. She is copying from a storybook. It is a Malay storybook she borrowed from school. And she is trying to read as she copies.  She is smiling as she tries to read the words and although she still struggles with many of the words, she is smiling while she tries. Once in a while, she would ask me how to pronounce a certain syllable.  And now, she is singing out the words she copies.  _________________________________________________ This scene, right in front of me, is the result of an important lesson I learnt a year ago.  I learnt that, for effective learning to take place, the learner should be in a "stress free mode".  And for them to be in that mode, it most probably has to be something they find interesting or rather, something they w...