Skip to main content

Of Palace Maids and Housewives

THE PALACE MAIDS

How does physical appearance effect you? Is it important to be well groomed especially at work?Does it affect how others see you? Does it make you feel more confident?

Shortly before I became a stay-at-home mom, my hubby made a remark on the palace maids (in Korean dramas) that had stuck in my brain till now.

One day, while watching Korean drama, he casually said: Ah! The palace maids are so well groomed. Why don't you become a housewife who dresses prettily everyday as you carry out your tasks?

Haha! I brushed it off with a laughter. But deep down I thought: Why not? If I were to become a housewife (I was still working at that time), I would make sure I do not dress like a maid. I would groom myself well and look presentable at all times. If the maids of the elite families or the royals should be well groomed, I am sure being a well groomed housewife would be necessary.


Hmm. Which is better?
WHY  BEING WELL GROOMED IS IMPORTANT

It is a FEEL GOOD FACTOR

and that feeling brings about a higher level of confidence

that could (might or may) result in better work performance.


Once, an ex-colleague's mother told me that she asked her daughter why she preferred to dress professionally to work instead of casually since our line of work allowed us to dress casually. Her daughter's reply was: I want to look professional so people would take me seriously.

She was right. Our attire and our look matters. Especially for first impressions.


TRYING TO BE MORE PROFESSIONAL

When I started putting on make up to work (after I gave birth to my first born, I decided to have a change), I noticed that the managers and superiors somehow, saw me differently. I had a feeling that they took me more seriously. In other words, I felt more noticed. And no, they were not male colleagues. They were all females. SO, outer look does play an important part in making things or breaking things for us... I guess.

AND...

eventually, I became a stay-at-home mom.


A typical housewife's "on the job" look.

Of course, there were many, many times when I couldn't care less about putting on makeups or the attire that I put on, especially when my children were much younger.

HOWEVER...

once they started schooling,

I had the chance to groom myself a bit as I need to make sure that I look presentable when I drop them off to or pick them up from school.






See the magical powers of makeups and hairdos?


I love the feeling of being...

A "professional housewife and mom"! 😮




Note: Looking good doesn't equal to wearing or using expensive or branded goods nor does it require me to have a wide selection of clothing and accessories. To me, it has always been "quality over quantity". A good piece of good quality wear makes a lot of difference.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Treat! What a Cheat!

When it comes to food , how often do you cheat ? Do you plan to follow a certain diet but end up having more cheat days than you intend to? or Do you intend to eat home cooked food for the entire week but end up eating out almost everyday? You are not alone!!👊 We are partners in crime! Look at the picture below. It's a plate of lunch for my children. Prawn paste fried chicken, stir fry mustard leaves and white rice. Served on a plate from our kitchen. The only thing I cook is the rice. 😜 I bought the chicken and vegetables from an economy rice shop.  They are my children's top picks. It is a shop that sells a wide variety of dishes (about 50-60), mostly Chinese. The food are pre cooked and displayed on large serving trays. It is self service and faster than the fast food restaurant. When my children saw the food served to them, they had a debate on whether it was takeaway or home cooked . 😃 My 8 year old boy said: Mummy bought from Bar Wang Fan (the na...

Lemon Thyme Meatball With Zucchinni

Minced meat is one of the common ingredients in my kitchen due to its versatility. It's easy to come up with a dish whenever I have this item on hand. Be it for rice porridge, stir fry noodles, adding flavours to booth for noodles soup, to stir fry with vegetables, braised with potatoes, the list is almost endless. Here, I would like to share with you a meatball recipe. We love meatballs and I make them quite often. Sometimes, I would make a big batch and store them in the freezer, to be used on busy days. THIS WEEK's SPECIAL: Lemon Thyme Meatball with Zucchini Ingredients: For the meatball minced meat (any meat of your choice) salt soy sauce finely chopped garlic finely chopped shallot tapioca starch  white pepper powder grated carrots (optional) one whole egg (optional) Other ingredients  zucchinni thyme lemon onion 1. To make meatball, combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix them together and let marinate for a few hours....

Traveling with Kids: Tioman Island

Traveling with children can be quite challenging. They need activities to keep them busy. From my experiences with my children, they don't really like to eat or shop. They want fun play and they want to explore. So, once in a while, we take them out for little adventures. Last June, we decided to take them to an island. WEEK 12: FUN PLAY TOPIC: A TRIP TO AN ISLAND It was a 3 nights 4 days trip. We stayed at Berjaya Tioman Resorts DAY 1 Lunch: I love burgers so it was a pretty good start for me.  Despite a pretty good lunch, our journey was delayed by about an hour. There were only two ferry trips to the island from Mersing, Johor. We chose the 3pm one instead of the 7am one because we didn't want to wake up at dawn and drive all the way to Mersing. When we reached the island, it was already dinner time. With kids along, we just had a short walk around the resort and went to bed early. DAY 2 We decided to go island hopping and snorkelli...