Skip to main content

What I Read Over the Years

I love to read. Most probably it's a habit I get from my parents who read a lot. Or perhaps it was due to a British teacher's advice to my parents that has created the culture in my family. She is the principal of one of the kindergartens I attended. Mrs Pereira, I can still remember her name. She told my parents that if they want me to have a good foundation in the English Language, they should encourage me to read as much as possible. That was when my reading adventures started. I was 6 years old.


PRESCHOOL YEARS

My parents bought me LADYBIRD books. Mostly fairy tales such as:

  • Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • Puss in Boots
  • The Pied Piper
  • The Stone Soup
  • The Snow Queen
I was introduced to a Malay language magazine called BINTANG KECIL. That was because I was enrolled to a national school where the medium of teaching would be in Malay. 


ELEMENTARY YEARS

I was further introduced to another two Malay Language magazin
es: 
  • Kuntum 
  • Dewan Pelajar 
I also started reading Malay Language story books, mostly Malay versions of
  • Enid Blyton's The Famous Five
  • Nancy Drew's mysteries series
  • Hardy Boys
We also had a 365 days story book which we read every night before bed. 

It was also during my elementary years when I started reading newspapers. The one that I read was in Malay, Utusan Malaysia. 


SECONDARY YEARS

I moved on to higher levels of Malay Language magazines:

  • Dewan Siswa
  • Pelita Bahasa
I also started reading 
  • Sweet Valley High
Due to influence from a classmate who loves to read about fashion and celebrities, I started reading women's magazines too. 

I had a strong interest in dreams so I read a number of books related to dreams and their interpretations. 


COLLEGE YEARS

Here, I started reading English papers because I was studying in the Philippines (and of course, Malay papers won't be available there) alternating between:

  • The Philippine Star
  • The Philippine Daily Inquirer 
My sister who also read novels, used to rent a few books at one time and I would read them. I couldn't remember the books that I read though, I remember they were mostly on romance.

AFTER I STARTED TO WORK AND EARN MY OWN INCOME

After graduation, I returned to Malaysia and started working.

Occasionally, I would read

Not long after that, I stumbled upon Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic and from then onwards, I was her fan. I also loved Marian Keyes' books.

Some of the other books I read, just to name a few:

  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Who Moved My Cheese 
  • Princess Orchid by Anchee Min
  • The Lass Empress by Anchee Min
  • Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
  • My Name Is Hasmah by Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali
I think I have grown out of chick lit books but I would still read some of Sophie Kinsella's if I find the story interesting. The last book of hers that I read was "My Not So Perfect Life" and I love it!

Occasionally, I would get myself a copy of Cleo or the Malaysian Women's Weekly. 

Of course, other than reading books and magazines, I read a lot online too. Like daily devotions and parenting articles to recipes and gardening. 

What about you? What do you like to read about? Do share with us the books that you find interesting. Perhaps we would like to check them out too! 

Happy reading! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Treat! What a Cheat!

When it comes to food , how often do you cheat ? Do you plan to follow a certain diet but end up having more cheat days than you intend to? or Do you intend to eat home cooked food for the entire week but end up eating out almost everyday? You are not alone!!👊 We are partners in crime! Look at the picture below. It's a plate of lunch for my children. Prawn paste fried chicken, stir fry mustard leaves and white rice. Served on a plate from our kitchen. The only thing I cook is the rice. 😜 I bought the chicken and vegetables from an economy rice shop.  They are my children's top picks. It is a shop that sells a wide variety of dishes (about 50-60), mostly Chinese. The food are pre cooked and displayed on large serving trays. It is self service and faster than the fast food restaurant. When my children saw the food served to them, they had a debate on whether it was takeaway or home cooked . 😃 My 8 year old boy said: Mummy bought from Bar Wang Fan (the na...

Lemon Thyme Meatball With Zucchinni

Minced meat is one of the common ingredients in my kitchen due to its versatility. It's easy to come up with a dish whenever I have this item on hand. Be it for rice porridge, stir fry noodles, adding flavours to booth for noodles soup, to stir fry with vegetables, braised with potatoes, the list is almost endless. Here, I would like to share with you a meatball recipe. We love meatballs and I make them quite often. Sometimes, I would make a big batch and store them in the freezer, to be used on busy days. THIS WEEK's SPECIAL: Lemon Thyme Meatball with Zucchini Ingredients: For the meatball minced meat (any meat of your choice) salt soy sauce finely chopped garlic finely chopped shallot tapioca starch  white pepper powder grated carrots (optional) one whole egg (optional) Other ingredients  zucchinni thyme lemon onion 1. To make meatball, combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix them together and let marinate for a few hours....

Traveling with Kids: Tioman Island

Traveling with children can be quite challenging. They need activities to keep them busy. From my experiences with my children, they don't really like to eat or shop. They want fun play and they want to explore. So, once in a while, we take them out for little adventures. Last June, we decided to take them to an island. WEEK 12: FUN PLAY TOPIC: A TRIP TO AN ISLAND It was a 3 nights 4 days trip. We stayed at Berjaya Tioman Resorts DAY 1 Lunch: I love burgers so it was a pretty good start for me.  Despite a pretty good lunch, our journey was delayed by about an hour. There were only two ferry trips to the island from Mersing, Johor. We chose the 3pm one instead of the 7am one because we didn't want to wake up at dawn and drive all the way to Mersing. When we reached the island, it was already dinner time. With kids along, we just had a short walk around the resort and went to bed early. DAY 2 We decided to go island hopping and snorkelli...