Skip to main content

Art and Craft: Nature

The downside of living in a city is that your children might not get as much nature play as they would love to have. 
During my childhood years, I lived near the sea and thus, had spent quiet a considerable amount of time at the beach. We also lived in a bungalow facing a public playground for a few years and had ample time for nature play. 

My hubby, on the other hand, used to play at the river's bank with his cousins and cycled around, exploring the beach with his best friends. 

So, it was not a surprise to me when he decided to buy a house with enough land for our children to play.

And, well, we could also use the plants in our garden to make some art. Couldn't we? 

WEEK 9: ART AND CRAFT

TOPIC: NATURE

One morning four years ago...

We collected some items from our garden for our morning lesson. 

Here's what we did. 

1. We collected some tree barks and leaves. 



2. On a drawing paper, I sketched a house and two trees. Then we cut tree barks and leaves according to the shapes we needed.




3. We made a house, trees and a row of grass. 



5. To add "life" to the picture, we added a hanger rack with some clothes on it.

We used skewers, a string and some old clothes to make it.

AND...

May I present...

Our first nature craft.



This is one of our favourite art and craft which I still have in my storage. Would love to have it framed. 

What do you think? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Treat! What a Cheat!

When it comes to food , how often do you cheat ? Do you plan to follow a certain diet but end up having more cheat days than you intend to? or Do you intend to eat home cooked food for the entire week but end up eating out almost everyday? You are not alone!!👊 We are partners in crime! Look at the picture below. It's a plate of lunch for my children. Prawn paste fried chicken, stir fry mustard leaves and white rice. Served on a plate from our kitchen. The only thing I cook is the rice. 😜 I bought the chicken and vegetables from an economy rice shop.  They are my children's top picks. It is a shop that sells a wide variety of dishes (about 50-60), mostly Chinese. The food are pre cooked and displayed on large serving trays. It is self service and faster than the fast food restaurant. When my children saw the food served to them, they had a debate on whether it was takeaway or home cooked . 😃 My 8 year old boy said: Mummy bought from Bar Wang Fan (the na...

Lemon Thyme Meatball With Zucchinni

Minced meat is one of the common ingredients in my kitchen due to its versatility. It's easy to come up with a dish whenever I have this item on hand. Be it for rice porridge, stir fry noodles, adding flavours to booth for noodles soup, to stir fry with vegetables, braised with potatoes, the list is almost endless. Here, I would like to share with you a meatball recipe. We love meatballs and I make them quite often. Sometimes, I would make a big batch and store them in the freezer, to be used on busy days. THIS WEEK's SPECIAL: Lemon Thyme Meatball with Zucchini Ingredients: For the meatball minced meat (any meat of your choice) salt soy sauce finely chopped garlic finely chopped shallot tapioca starch  white pepper powder grated carrots (optional) one whole egg (optional) Other ingredients  zucchinni thyme lemon onion 1. To make meatball, combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix them together and let marinate for a few hours....

Stress Free Mode

Now, as I typed on my laptop, my 5 year-old daughter sits in front of me, doing her own work. She is doing something on her own. Something that no one tells her to do. It is 100% at her own will. She is copying from a storybook. It is a Malay storybook she borrowed from school. And she is trying to read as she copies.  She is smiling as she tries to read the words and although she still struggles with many of the words, she is smiling while she tries. Once in a while, she would ask me how to pronounce a certain syllable.  And now, she is singing out the words she copies.  _________________________________________________ This scene, right in front of me, is the result of an important lesson I learnt a year ago.  I learnt that, for effective learning to take place, the learner should be in a "stress free mode".  And for them to be in that mode, it most probably has to be something they find interesting or rather, something they w...